TYPES OF CEDARWOOD AND ESSENTIAL OILS
- Himalayan Cedarwood (Cedrus deodara) – From the Cedar Genus
- Atlas Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica) – From the Cedar Genus
- Texan Cedarwood (Juniperus Mexicana) – From the Juniper Genus
- Virginian Cedarwood (Juniperus virginiana) – From the Juniper Genus
HISTORY OF CEDARWOOD ESSENTIAL OIL
Himalayan Cedarwood (Cedrus deodara) and Atlas Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica) are believed to be the very first essential oils ever to have been distilled. Ancient records show both the wood and oil were used for an extensive range of purposes including medicine, cosmetics and incense.
Himalayan Cedarwood essential oil and resins, as well as the pine needles and the bark of the tree, have been used in traditional and Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. Cedarwood has been used to cure illnesses ranging from cancer to rheumatoid arthritis to less severe hiccups, coughs and colds.
Modern medical research has shown that extracts from the Cedarwood needles have a pain killing and antiseptic effect and that the tree has antioxidant properties.
Furthermore, the natural health benefits of cedarwood essential oil can be attributed to its properties, such as antiseptic, antifungal, antibacterial, antiseborrheic, antispasmodic, astringent, tonic, diuretic, expectorant, emmenagogue, sedative, fungicidal and insecticidal.
Ayurvedic practitioners use preparations from the Himalayan Cedarwood tree to treat diabetes, urinary tract infections, obesity, skin ailments, to aid digestion, to strengthen the heart muscles, to improve blood circulation and to treat pain. The oil is used for colds, coughs, hiccups, arthritis, headaches and gout.
Not all the genus’ of the Cedarwood/Juniper varieties contain the same compounds, so take note:
- Himalayan and Atlas Cedarwood based oils typically contain alpha-pinene and Himachalol as key compounds.
- The Juniper based oils contain high levels of Cedrol and Thujopsene.
- improve inflammatory skin conditions like eczema.
- promote hair growth.
- soothe dry scalp.
- has natural antiseptic properties.
- arthritis relief.
- natural deodorizer.
- natural sedative.
- natural diuretic.
Available in two sizes: 5 ml $16.50 and 10 ml $25.30